This lecture and demonstration, recorded at a live virtual workshop, helps primary care providers develop more advanced skills in suturing. A suturing practice kit will be mailed to you after purchase. We recommend that you wait to view the lecture until after the kit arrives.
This course is organized as follows:
- Wound evaluation and preparation
- Practical hints for suturing
- Appropriate selection of anesthesia
- Delivery of anesthesia
- Selection of suture material
- Suturing techniques
- Other methods of wound closure
- Special considerations
- After care
- Review and practice
Suturing: Beyond the Basics provides education on the following suturing techniques:
- Vertical mattress
- Horizontal mattress
- Corner stitch
- Simple continuous or running
Note: Delivery of this video presentation requires Google Chrome. This video can be viewed two times within 6 months of purchase. Rewind and fast forward features are not available.
Upon completion of this activity, the learner will be able to:
- Discuss the management of more complex wounds.
- Explain several methods of performing digital block anesthesia and facial blocks, including associated pharmacology and possible complications.
- Perform several advanced suturing techniques, including running stitch, corner stitch, and horizontal & vertical mattress.
This activity is approved for 2.0 contact hour(s) (which includes 0 hour(s) of pharmacology)
TIME TO COMPLETE
1 hour, 22 minutes plus posttest
October 2021; reviewed and renewed 2022
Advanced Practice Education Associates (APEA) is accredited by the American Association of Nurse Practitioners as an approved provider of nurse practitioner continuing education. Provider number: 100820. This activity is approved for 2.0 contact hour(s) (which includes 0 hour(s) of pharmacology). Program ID #2021-09-01 (Video).
This course is taught by Denise Ramponi, DNP, CRNP, FAEN, an associate professor at Robert Morris University. Dr. Ramponi is a recognized expert in X-ray interpretation, suturing, minor procedures, and acute care.
This course can be accessed on a computer or tablet, or through the APEA app. Purchases must be made on apea.com and will automatically be synced to your app. Content downloaded to your device from the app can be accessed at any time, even without an internet connection. Minimum space required: Each video may take up to 150 MB. Viewable on iPhone versions 5 and above, iPad Air and iPad Mini.